In 1823, George Stephenson, his son Robert Stephenson, Edward Pease and Michael Longridge (the owner of The Bedlington Iron and Engine Works), opened the world’s first purpose built locomotive works on Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne. It was founded as part of their construction of the Stockton and Darlington Railway. Robert, at the age of 19, was the Managing Partner. The “Locomotion”, “Rocket”, and “Planet” were all built at the works, along with many other locomotives. They were exported to developing railways all around the world and were often the first to be seen in those countries.The Stephenson Works was restored by the Robert Stephenson Trust, and is now part of the ‘Stephenson Quarter’ and is often used as an event venue. The building is Grade II listed.