Over 2 years, children, teachers and families at partner schools will engage with science and technology linked to the heritage of the North East region through a variety of assemblies, workshops, family sessions, whole school projects and teacher CPD sessions in a cross-curricular approach.
Activities will be developed and delivered by Museums Northumberland in partnership with NUSTEM at Northumbria University and Historic England.
The project will showcase the skills and attributes that developed in the industrial and creative traditions of the North East, and explore how those skills can be used for the future development of science, technology and innovation now.
Partner schools will be offered:
- Whole school Heritage and STEM assemblies
- Whole school STEM Person of the Week activities
- KS1 and KS2 STEM workshops
- After-school family workshops
- Family story time sessions
- Teacher CPD sessions in school on putting STEM careers into lessons and unconscious bias
- Access to digital STEM heritage map of the NTCA area
- Historic England CPD on using maps to explore the STEM history of the local area. Schools will be invited to become part of their Heritage Schools network
- Membership of the Primary Science Coordinators Forum
- Links to local STEM employers and STEM site visits with transport provided
Our Past, Your Future is fully funded by the North of Tyne Combined Authority as part of the STEM and Digital Skills Programme. There is no financial cost to the schools that take part.
The project will take place between September 2020 and July 2022 and activities will be adapted in line with any Covid19 restrictions. For more details and to check if you are an eligible school, please contact: email@example.com