The Ashington Group first met in October 1934 through the Workers’ Education Association to study ‘something different’: an art appreciation course. The group was largely made up of men and women working in the local area and none had experienced galleries or real works of art. Their tutor, professor Robert Lyon encouraged them to learn art by producing it themselves. The men painted a record of a mid-20th century mining community, focusing on realistic, everyday subjects drawn from their own perspective. Billy Elliot writer, Lee Hall was inspired by the Ashington Group story and wrote the play ‘The Pitmen Painters’ which has now been performed around the world.
This is a high quality art print of Frozen Pit Pond by Jimmy Floyd.
- Based on the original painting by Jimmy Floyd
- Full colour Giclée art print
- This is a print to order item supplied rolled in tube
- Choice of two sizes: Medium (frameable size of 11 inch x 14 inch / 179 mm x 356 mm) or Large (frameable size of 16.5 inch x 23.4 inch / 420 mm x 594 mm)
- Note that due to varying sizes of the original artworks, the frameable size you select creates a print that is to scale with the original painting, and the print you receive will have a variable surrounding border (refer to image 2 for an example of how this could look)