Stained glass from The Church of the Holy Trinity and St Mary. The glass depicts the safety of abiding in the presence of God, offering advice for those who wish to take refuge under his wings and will subsequently trample underfoot the lion and the serpent.
The stained glass includes the following extract from Psalms 91:
He shall give his angels charge over thee
A thank offering for mercies vouchsafed in the gale of the 8th of December 1803.
The window relates to a shipwreck just outside of Berwick, where all crew were lost at sea. The stained glass was designed by William Wailes, the owner of England’s largest and most prolific stained-glass workshops, who operated from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, having learned his trade in Germany.
The Church of the Holy Trinity and St Mary is the only Parish Church built during the Commonwealth of Oliver Cromwell. Designed by John Young of Blackfriars, the stone foundations were laid in 1650 and opened in 1652. Holy Trinity replaced an earlier medieval Church, which had stood a few yards to the south since 1190 AD, and was demolished shortly after the new church was opened.
The glass window was safely removed and accessioned into the Berwick Museum and Art Gallery collection in the 1990s.
To view this object, please contact us via our enquiries page: